Having packed countless moving boxes for customers, I can tell you that the more prepared you are before you start, the better off (and less stressed out) you will be. Give yourself plenty of time – and remember that you may not be able to drop everything to devote an entire day to packing, so it’s a good idea to attack it in chunks, between your other pre-move activities.
Before you even think about getting started, you will need to pick up some packing supplies that will make your life easier. Keep them all in one place so that as you jump in and out of packing mode, you know where everything is.
Here is my must have list of supplies for packing:
- Various sizes of sturdy boxes with flaps that can be closed completely.
- White paper, tissue paper, paper towels and unprinted newspaper cut into 20” by 30” sheets. These items are good for all-purpose wrapping and cushioning.
- Plenty of newspaper. Do beware, however, that newspaper should only be used for cushioning or as outer wrapping only. No matter how old the newspaper, the ink always rubs off and can become imbedded in fine china if used for wrapping. When using newspaper, wash your hands frequently to prevent leaving ink smudges on items you handle. Although some ink smudges can be washed off, it’s better to not take a chance.
- Gummed tape for sealing packing boxes.
- Scissors and/or a sharp knife.
- Felt-tip marker for labeling cartons.
- Notebook and pen or pencil for listing contents of boxes as they are packed. Or, go the excel route.
- Labels or stickers.
Is there anything you would add to this list? Please share below.